17 Random Life Lessons I've Learned
As a young adult, I can't say I've lived long enough to be 'wise' or 'enlightened' in any way. But you know, everyone's life is different and special and here are a few things I've picked up along my years of living. If these aren't useful reminders, at least they'll entertain you?
- You cannot judge foundation colors from the bottle. You actually have to try it. Learn how to find your skin’s undertones; this will seriously help you in picking the right color of foundation (and save you money). God knows how many times I've brought a concealer and it was the wrong shade because I was too shy to test them in the big fancy department store.
- NARS definitely makes shades with warmer, more yellow undertones, and I DEFINITELY DO NOT have yellow undertones.
- Friends come and go, the ones who stay through all the good and bad sh*t are the ones worth keeping.
- My ex is a huge asshole. You can actually really tell what a guy is like by how he treats his mother, wish I knew this sooner to be honest.
- Take compliments. It doesn’t make you vain or narcissistic.
- Girl friends make everything better (and so do nuggets and ice cream).
- Do not binge watch a whole season of Breaking Bad the day before school starts.
- Do not binge watch a whole season of Brooklyn Nine-Nine the day before a math test.
- People, who make you feel bad about something, don't deserve to be in your life. (Read: How Friendships Get Ruined In Your Twenties)
- Don't get hung up on the small things. Everything happens for a reason and most of the time, it's for the best. Learn to forgive and forget. If it happens, it happens. And if it's already happened, what else can you do about it? Until Stephen Hawking figures out how string theory works and makes a time machine, you really can't do much.
- Trust your mother when she tells you "that outfit looks terrible". Your mother dressed you for the first 6 years of your life (at least), so she knows what she's doing.
- ALWAYS BRING A CARDIGAN WHEREVER YOU GO. Or sweater. Or jacket. Honestly, mother knows best.
- 4-inch heels are not a good idea. Ever. Unless you're walking down a red carpet, of course (never).
- Know what colors you look good in vs. what colors you like. Green is my favorite color but it makes me look tired and sick.
- Opportunities only come if you learn to ask for them. Don't be shy about asking for something. If it's something you really want and are passionate about, people will be able to see it and opportunities will come your way. Don't ever take this for granted though.
- It's ok to not feel happy all the time. Don't force yourself to do something if you're not feeling like doing it. For example, editing a film half an hour after breaking up with someone is not the best thing to do. Take time off to actually give yourself an emotional break.
- Look after your friends and they'll look after you. Simple as that.
Graphic by Brian HK Chan.